There is no higher crime on our books than homicide. The Government commits their most senior, seasoned and experienced investigators and prosecutors to death investigations, and provides them with virtually unlimited resources and every technological and scientific tool available to investigate and prosecute homicide investigations.
Depending on the provable circumstances and state of mind, homicides fall into several categories:
- Murder, in violation of J.S.A. 2C:11-3, a crime of the First Degree punishable by 30 years to life imprisonment on a first offense;
- Aggravated Manslaughter, in violation of J.S.A. 2C:11-4, a crime of the First Degree punishable by 10-30 years imprisonment;
- Reckless Manslaughter, in violation of J.S.A. 2C:11-4, a crime of the Second Degree, punishable by 5-10 years imprisonment;
- Death by Auto (or any DWI-related Homicide, in violation of J.S.A. 2C:11-5, a First or Second Degree crime punishable by 5-20 years imprisonment; and
- Leaving the Scene of a MV Accident Resulting in Death, a violation of J.S.A. 2C:11-5.1, a Second Degree Crime punishable by 5-10 years imprisonment.
Homicide convictions are subject to the No Early Release Act (NERA) 85% parole disqualifier, as well as 3 years (2nd Degree) or 5 years (1st Degree) post-release parole supervision.
If you or someone you love is under investigation for, or charged with, a homicide, contact our former Major Crimes Prosecutors at Schiller McMahon for an immediate, expert consultation.
Having a highly-trained, aggressive, and knowledgeable NJ Supreme Court Certified Trial Attorney when the Government is coming for you in a homicide investigation is absolutely imperative.
Your criminal attorney is the only thing between you and a potential life sentence. Contact proven performers, we’re available 24/7 to address your matter.